Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Facing the Hurricane Sanath.... even the best was not spared..

South Africa were touring Sri Lanka in the 2006-07 cricket season. 1st Test was won by Sri Lanka handsomely on the back of the record breaking partnership of Sangakkara and Jayawardane. However Proteas made a decent comeback in the 2nd Test at P.Sara Oval, giving Sri Lanka a 4th innings target of 351. Sri Lanka had never chased a target that steep before home or away. What they needed was a rapid start to stun the South African bowling attack comprising; Shaun Pollock, Makhaya Ntini, Andre Hall and Dale Steyn. And Sanath Jayasuriya obliged...

Ashwell Prince then Proteas' skipper, recently in an interview revealed what he experienced in that shocking opening assault:

"...Jayasuriya was opening, and hitting it to all parts. Dale Steyn was being carved over point, and he came up to me and said: "I can't bowl at him. I don't know where to bowl." Obviously, I hadn't captained a lot, and I thought: "What am I going to do here?" He's supposed to be the main strike bowler, even though he was young at the time. I had to take him off, because he wasn't confident in landing it where he could just bowl a dot ball - forget about taking a wicket..."


and here is why....:

No comments:

Post a Comment